¿Qué Culpa Tiene el Niño? (2016)

I haven't seen a lot of Mexican films but those few were pretty heavy. Don't get me wrong, I love those movies, but sometimes I need something lighter so I gave this romantic comedy a chance. Mainly because I wanted to see Karla Souza in something that wasn't How to Get Away with Murder.

Maru (Karla Souza) has a one-night stand with some guy she met at a wedding which wouldn't be a problem at all if she didn't get pregnant. With the help of her friends, she manages to find the guy. It's Renato (Ricardo Abarca), an immature, unemployed and much younger guy who wants to be there for the baby. And Maru is forced to make things work.

It's a very simple story, it's quite absurd and predictable to say the least (although there's a twist at the end that I would have never see coming. I even wished Gustavo Loza, director and writer, was messing with us), but nevertheless, it's engaging, entertaining and I couldn't help but hope Maru and Renato would fall in love. I knew it would happen, I just counldn't wait for it to happen.

¿Qué Culpa Tiene el Niño? is basically the Mexican version of Knocked Up. At points, they also have the same kind of humour. The sex jokes don't always work in this one though, but at least the film is never overly-vulgar. On the other hand, when the film makes fun of Mexican mannerism/quirks is fun. It's probably all clichés, still I had some good laughs.

Adicta Films, Alebrije Cine y Video
The heart of this comedy is its leads, Karla Souza and Ricardo Abarca. They both have incredible charisma, their chemistry is great and they deliver the humour very well. Although it's Jesus Ochoa who gets most of the job done. He plays Maru's father, a despotic and corrupt politician who constantly mocks the Mexican bourgeoisie and thinks that the opinion of the others is what really matters in life, and it's almost impossible not to laugh when he's on screen.  

No comments :

Post a Comment